Week 7
Ass. 2
" The next big thing: adults reading teen literature" from YALSA
I did observe for sometimes adults reading YA books. I agree with a lot of the reasons presented in the article:
parents that want to explore what their teen is reading
the vampire books made lots of Moms come to the libraries to read the Twillight series, True Blood, etc.
TV influence, also is a factor, and the movies made from the teen books brought lots of interest.
"Who's buying teen books? Lots and Lots of adults"
The article brings good points, why adults are interested on buying YA books: gifts for the younger generation, good read from very well known writers, like Margaret Atwood, Barbara Kingsolver, etc.
I do not agree with one of the reasons state by the article that the YA books are "written in a less complicated Fashion" provides a relaxing read for an adult, I do believe that the YA books are very well written and they are YA just because the protagonists are teen age.
I totally agree with your comment about teen books "written in less complicated fashion." Many teen books are beautifully written and deal with complex issues. Perhaps they should read "Sunrise Over Fallujah", "Looking for Alaska" or "Copper Sun". I could name titles all night ... You go, Miky.
ReplyDeleteWhile I agree that many teen novels are less complicated the issues and plots that teen authors are creating have so much variety and are very thought provoking.
ReplyDelete